Wednesday 3 February 2016

Colony 87 Adviser and completetion of Wave 2 !


I'm pretty sure many of you like that thrill of achievement when painting models. For me it's all about those finishing touches, correcting a detail, painting the base rim or adding the grass tuft. Those moments really fuel me with a great feeling of satisfaction so when those happen at the end of a warband or army, they taste even better ! This time I got an extra kick out of this model for completing the whole Wave 2 of the coming Colony 87 models by Jon/Axiom !


You'll be accustomed now to seeing the great sketches from Will Beck (above) and how the sculpt from Michael Anderson is close to it.




The colour scheme I've chosen may be a tad surprising but for this one there were 2 main elements that decided how it would be done. The first element is that as an adviser, I thought the model had to stand out to show his positions. Think of how the advisers of kings had to show off to maintain their position. I think an adviser should either be unseen and manipulate from the shadows or being exposed in plain sight to control and dominate. Our adviser here is of the second kind.

The second element is that I'm still heavily influenced by Jean Giraud AKA Moebius and I wanted to echo his work in my own way on this model.
I can think of many other paintjobs though and it's likely I'd have gone another way (probably more grimdark) if I hadn't painted all the models from the range at once. I sort of had to differentiate the humble workers from the politicians and priests rather than make them all dark and gritty.

Adviser between Lord Sergei Kalente and Lady Greiss
Isn't he lovely amongst his most probable employers ?


And here he is amongst all his companions from teh 2nd wave of model for this wonderful range that Colony 87 is.
I'm starting on the last 3 models I have from wave 1 and getting those done will be a massive satisfaction on top of the tremendous pleasure it's been to paint them !

30 comments:

  1. Yes, "that's not what I expected" was the first thought I had when I saw this guy, but it works. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest of Wave 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! I have to say I wante dthe models to look differently which made me go where I wouldn't have if I had painted them seperately. On one hand that means I have other paintschemes in mind for them and on the other that means they stand out from some of my other models (only hope that's a good thing).

      Delete
  2. You had me at Colony 87, then you held my attention at the mere mention of Moebius. Lovely work and superb inspiration; cant wait for the rest of Wave 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I have to say I was a little worried about how this one would be welcomed but Moebius' aesthetics are deeply rooted into my brains. I almost painted him in the same colours as the noble on the left but I finally took the bet to paint him this way. Glad to see some approve !

      Delete
  3. Strangely, this miniature indeed remind me of Moebius art even before I read your notes about it. I think that your painting style really echoes the colors of Moebius drawings. The smooth colors and the way they blend and echo to one another is particularly evocative of his style. When applied to nice miniatures as these, it matches perfectly I think.

    Whether it's on purpose or the consequence of years of reading which influenced the way you approach colors and painting is another debate. :)
    The result is as simple as it is superb, once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the group of 6 in the last pictures, I could perfectly see them in the background of some pages from L'incal. :)

      Delete
    2. Cheers mec ! I know this one was intentionnal as the hat reminded me of Arzach and all and even the pose and face reminded me of Moebius' work. On some others, it might be a tad more hidden amongst other influences.

      Delete
    3. Now I feel like I have to do a concrete seagull ! ;)

      Delete
  4. Lovely job JB - I really like that opulent pink sas, very posh! Congrats and thank you for showcasing the new C87 range, can't wait for the KS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, I'm looking forward to seeing your use of those, you've been more than inspired with the previous one !

      Delete
  5. A fantastic display of work from not only your painting, but from the designers and sculptors. Top marks all round. I'm a jealous duck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, there's a very nice work from design to sculpt, painting i sso easy after that !

      Delete
  6. That pale green robe with the pink sash is a beautiful combination JB. I really like the retro-checks on the hat too - they're a great addition that elevates the overall look of the figure. I can imagine this guy being rather vain - he wants eye-catching colours and fashion statements to reinforce the fact that HE is the man in charge, even though he may not hold the title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers ! I think thi sguys must be like magicians who make a lot of show just to attract your attention from where things happen for real. Don't trust his smile and colourful clothing, it' sthe stuff he does behind that's real dark and scary.

      Delete
  7. Hits all my Sci-Fi buttons. The crazy colourful paint sheme is a great homage to Moebius. The whole reminds me of the Jodorowsky's Dune sketches and concept art...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jodoverse is a huge influence for me so it flet only natural to make it appear on this particular model. I'm very pleased some of you guys apreciate it !

      Delete
  8. Absolutely great. I concur about the Moebius quality (which in fact is production value!) I love what you did to the whole set. Looking forward to the launch of the KS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend ! Now I'm looking forwad to seeing other people's take on them !

      Delete
  9. Very nice palette choice and yes, unexpected for sure. Those robes are screaming out for some freehand of some sort as well. Good thing about this sculpt is that it could easily fit into a fantasy setting as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be perfectly honest : I wanted to paint freehands on the robe at first, then I saw the folds and ran away... now you know the sordid truth...

      Thanks ;)

      Delete
    2. Completely understandable mate! Take a look at my finished work and you'll see I have a similar attitude to freehand in general! :)

      Delete
    3. I was relying on the mess is more approach ;)

      Delete
  10. Too good!

    Warburton

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite like the figure, and expect to see it repurposed in a number of ways.

    Your paint job of course is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, that's actually the case with all those models. I could think or plenty of colour schemes for each of them.

      Delete
  12. Really been enjoying this series of paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Matthew ! I've been enjoying painting these and will keep on the same vibe for 3 models time still !

      Delete
  13. Fantastic work AND colour choice. The whole group 'pops' even more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers man, I really painted them all with the group in mind. That influenced me and lead me to choices I might have taken by myself otherwise so I'm glad you like it !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...