Saturday 19 July 2014

Space Roger - Imperial Rogue trader




Her he is, well here they are, Space Roger, galactic rogue trader and his 2 acolytes, the Pherry twins.

They are the 2nd Warband I've build for my sci-fi setting using Rogue trader, confrontation and whatever I may find. 
Like all my gangs and armies, the warband started from the image I had of its leader, in our case, it's the model of the Ventolin pirate from the Rogue trader adventurers range that gave me a hint about what I wanted to do. 
I could see a lot of my RT models had something that could be related to a space suit. I've been meaning to come back to the roots of the original rogue trader as they appear in the eponym rulebook and make a warband of adventurers travelling through the entire galaxy to live amazing adventures in the most classical way.



I wanted to base my vision of these adventurers on retro sci-fi with inspirations like these :



This gave me the will to name my Rogue trader in an old fashioned way which is why I chose "Space Roger and his galactic farers". Funny thing is I had planned on naming him Roger Ferrero (puns are just such a must) when I learnt Gaj/Weazil from the most excellent 'warhammer for adults' had named one of his characters almost the same.


Roger is quite an old Rogue trader now and the tales of his adventures are known around all the galaxy since a TV show was actually made from his adventures. The show is now totally out fashioned and the heavy censorship imposed by imperial authorities have left Roger with the image of a poncy prick but that doesn't bother him one bit.
He has been on feral worlds where locals had strange psy powers, some of which enabled them to raise dead from the grave, where men fought with nothing but swords and shields and had nothing more to mount than horses. He has been on remote planets where only the most alien lifeforms could live and he has gained on every adventure, the knowledge that the universe has no boundaries and that Man is a mere sand grain in it.
This does not stop him to roam the galaxy for the imperium of Mankind to discover new planets, new species, new ressources for the sake of Humanity.



The red paint scheme with leathers and corroded metals comes from the fact I wanted the models to have a sort of 50's vibe. To do that I mixed Amercian and russian inspirations from the cold war days. It results in something which is not totally American nor totally Sovietic but which keeps the feeling of those days I think.

Roger's most faithful aids are the Pherry twins, Michan and Allael who have been on his side for ages.


You may recognise these 2 as being from the very first Rogue trader release. 



I got those from a lot which though a total bargain proved to be a real pain to strip as you can see HERE.


But the result was well worth it (Thanks to Mrs Acetone) :


Damn , when looking from the rear, I never know which one is Michan and which one is Allael...


I have 4 more models to add to this warband (they should see the light of day very soon) and as i'm typing those words, I'm working on a new Rogue trader warband...

13 comments:

  1. Lovely colours and already a nicely coherent looking band. These guys are clearly worldly-wise pragmatists. They favour functional utilitarian equipment...just happy to get a job done! Looking forward to seeing the others :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The others are far more eccentric but I wqnted to start with the "normal" part of the warband first, the later additions will be another flavor ;)

      Delete
  2. Nice colour schemes and good to see what you've done with the ventolin pirate. I've had him knocking around the lead pile for years but could never think how to paint him. Gives me a few ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had not painted him as a member of a team I'd have painted him with oxydated and rusted metals. I'm sure It would have looked good.
      I'm eager to see your version !

      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Haha, so great! You are a constant resource of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Suber. You'll see how they take all their worth when joined by the others !

      Delete
  4. That's the best looking No Face Fargo paint job I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a weird sculpt I have to say, the mask seems to have been made in a single session and it must not have taken long... I left it with a dark colour to hide the crudeness of the sculpt and the castong was not fabulous either. It is a very pleasant model nonetheless.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Love the Ventolin Pirate! Never see enough examples of him painted up. Simple choice of colours which works brilliantly. Wonderfully scripted as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, I think it's an underrated model really. For me, it has all the charm you can ask of it and make a proper Jack of all trades, I think he makes a convincing rogue trader but could perfectly make a good pirate or space scavenger.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work, great concept and lovely painting.
    I like the very clear and good choice of colours. I lke the way you have painted the details on Roger, and the mix of 1950's style and sci fi elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee, I hope the retro vibe will show even better with the rest of the crew !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...