Wednesday 23 April 2014

"Monsters and Robots" or "why I love Rogue trader"



Amongst all the miniatures that are filling my painting range, I managed to nail a couple by settings the standards low and by using dry times of washes and things like that. It even gave me the occasion to enter them for Chico's Big guy week.

First one to get the treatment is Godzipunch. Godzipunch is a Genetically Modified Organism created by a mad scientist (let's name him Dr Steiner) who took the secret of its creation in his tomb. 

Rogue traders do come by strange planets with feral populations and some even have specimen of old species like dinosaurs.
It takes some time and energy to breed such animals but you need a pinch of added madness to modify those kind of animals to make them even deadlier. Godzipunch is the result of this very combination of talent and madness. A small T-rex with deadly punching fists...


You can note I used the power mark on the thigh as an identification number. We can easily imagine GMO's aren't always successes and it seems Godzipunch is the 25th to have been designed...





Those of you who have difficulties understanding why a sane person would paint such an horrible toy, well first of all, I can't assure you I'm sane and secondly you can find a bit more about it HERE.
If that fails to convince you, then I can just tell you I thought it was very funny to have a T-rex for my games and I thought it was even better o have one which fights with his fists... (that and the fact I'm starting to get a strange appeal for rubber models).

Godzipunch at the beginning...
The model is an absolute horror to paint, really. There is absolutely no way to remove the mold lines properly and greenstuff won't stick to it. I decided to leave all moldlines and to just go on and the result is OK considering the base material.

One last thing you have to know about him, I couldn't help getting this song in my head during the painting :



And here's another old friend of mine, painted a loooong time ago, who just needed a little rebasing to fit with the rest of my rogue trader models. I took the opportunity to throw a couple of washes here and there but nothing too time consuming. It has to keep the charm of the youthful paint job.




It will serve as a sentry or maybe an exploration robot in games or whatever silly idea I can come up with.

Here's how he was before (you can see more of him HERE).


In the next episodes, I hope to be able to make a review of a special unboxing. That sort of thing seems to be trendy on some hobby blogs so I want to try to be fashionable too and have a go at it... Just expect something a little ... different.

10 comments:

  1. Love the godzilla monster and the implementation into RT, nice imagination man.
    Jt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was only meant as a little distraction and to have something my rogue traders can chase but it turned out a rather easy and pleasant paint.

      Delete
  2. If I was to resume this in a few worrds I'd just say "talent: graphic definition". The mere idea of painting that cutezilla is great, but that robot is pure genius, what a cever use of bits, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice Suber ! The robot probably comes from watching robocop or something, I can't really remember, it's too old but thanks, I like how the poor painting and modelling skills do not alter much the base idea.

      Delete
  3. Hi!

    Cracking repaint of the plastic Godzilla!

    Look out for the assorted Gormitti toys as well for suitable gribblies for Rogue Trader games!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, it looks like the plastic hammer is taking off, I've seen some on the talesfromafarpoint blog too !

      Delete
  4. love the sentry bot! and the use of the model number as a version 25 type idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot !
      I have to say I'm even more happy people love the robot as it's a child job !

      Delete
  5. The dino would fit in absolutely perfectly into my RT games. The 'bot is great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the idea of painting him owes a lot to your work or Jonas' I have to say. Glad you like them !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...